Dr. Melissa Pennington, D.O.
At the conclusion of this program participants will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of multi-impulsivity particularly as it relates to bulimia nervosa
- Identify personality traits that are commonly associated with subgroups of eating disordered behaviors
- Compare and contrast eating disorders and substance use disorders
- Recognize the link between childhood trauma and the development of impulsive behaviors
- Identify medications and therapies that may assist with impulse control
Multi-impulsivity is not defined in the DSM, but is an umbrella term written in a paper by Sansone that describes a variety of impulsive behaviors. This presentation covers a variety of impulsive behaviors (primarily substance abuse and eating disorders) and also discusses the links between trauma, borderline personality disorder, and impulsivity. Treatment modalities such as meditation, psychotherapy, and medication management will also be reviewed.
In addition to the above, Dr. Pennington will provide a short presentation about COVID-19 and the pandemic's effect on mental health/addiction.
September 10, 2021
Event Time: 1-4 pm
Location: The comfort of your home or office
Method: You will be sent instructions and a link to connect to the meeting by the morning of September 10, 2021 prior to the event.
Continuing Education: Hours awarded will be determined by how long you stay connected to the meeting.
Certificates will be e-mailed to participants.